Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Plans for New Apartment

I'm moving to a new apartment, one that I'm actually very excited about. It is a 7th floor rooftop penthouse loft right next door to Berklee. I was very fortunate to have found the listing after months and months of searching, signing, having unprofessional landlords screw us by saying yes and then changing his mind, etc... I am grateful for the difficulties getting here because I wouldn't have ended up with this apartment otherwise.

I'm going to keep posting updates about the progress since this is the apartment of our dreamsand it seems more like a place you would expect to find in New York rather than Boston. For now I've done a rough sketch of the planning for my room/studio/front hallway.

This will be called 'flightProject'


On the right is the front door of the apartment and outside is the hallway that connects to the stairs and our neighbor/landlord apartment.

the other door to the left goes to the rest of the apartment as well as the patio which is shown to the left.

It's basically an L-shaped room. For the sleep area, i wanted to build a platform so that it was two steps up on a slightly higher plane. I'll also be building a platform bed because I prefer my bed to be lower. The little mini-wall adds a feeling of privacy and separates the sleep area from the work area. But because it is still open, the room retains its feeling of openness and space. The room has huge windows on three walls and it gets pretty hot in there so we're going to need huge curtains, two of which i've drawn in.

The lower area is the studio and band practice area. The "front hallway" is made by dividing the space with stolmen poles. In between the poles are plexiglass sheets that I'm intending on painting with spraypaint and acrylic. It should look pretty cool. The little block near the bottom in front of the poles is actually a heater/furnace thing that is in the apartment.

So without the use of doors or real walls, I believe I can keep the spacious feel of the room visually and mentally, and allow easier access to the different areas. The front hall was important because Jackie will be working out of the apartment and will set up her photography office/studio in the other room which has 30 ft ceiling and windows. We needed a professional looking "lobby." This should work out as long as I keep my room clean.

For the furniture, I've decided to build our furniture because after looking at a bunch of stores I can conclude that I would rather build something myself, have it be exactly what I want, and at a fraction of the cost. Designs and pictures will materialize eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment